Sunday, February 1, 2009

64-Point Mariner's Compass



Here is my latest project. I drafted this 64-point mariner's compass block in the Electric Quilt program after observing a photo of “Silver Wedding”, a quilt made by Chiyoko Umeda of Tokyo. Ms Umeda's quilt won first place in the traditional quilt category, 5th Japan quilt Grand Prix, Tokyo International Great Quilt Festival, 2006. Though I tried out many color combinations,

I finally decided on a simple yellow and white scheme. I had once seen an antique quilt with these colors, and the compasses looked so sunny and cheerful!

The block will finish at 30 inches and the compass itself at 26 inches. It has exactly 200 pieces.

Here's the series of steps I used to draw it. (I actually started with another compass I had already drawn. You can see the finished version of that one in my previous post, second photo.)

13 comments:

  1. Thanks, Harry! I'm delighted that you are my very first visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool block Becky!!! I've saved your blog in my favs.....I'll be back LOL.
    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool Becky!...I will be looking forward to hearing about how it goes, putting it all together. Are you going to be sharing this with the handpiecers at About? < hint, hint>
    And yes, your blog is being saved in my blog folder so I remember to follow you through the blogospere.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so good to see that my quilty friends are finding their way here! Thanks for your comments. I love knowing you've stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I can't wait to see the fabrics that you use to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Becky, I'm so gllad you're blogging...you and Crispy are my heros when it comes to hand piecing. I will read faithfully!!
    Ruth (ruthsews)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky, I am so excited to see you back to quilting again! I will be checking here often. This latest block is absolutely stunning!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Becky!
    I saw your "invatation" on the forum. I will be following you closely, I still haven't started HP, but I am doing more "handwork" to led to that.
    Welcome to blog world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was excited when I saw you had a blog Becky. I can't wait to see your progress on this compass!

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all so much for leaving your footprints here. I am so very glad to know you will be following along! Let me know if I can help you in any way. I'll be glad to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becky, Are you still quilting? What have you been up to? You are missed :)
    Linda in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully done Becky. I love to hand piece and have completed very complicated blocks by hand that I wouldn't dream of putting on a machine. I'm trying (key word trying) to draft out a wonderful and unusual block in Jenny Beyers Quilters Album of Patchwork Patterns on page 290, number 5. I'm having a terrible time with it but once I get it drafted and started I know it will be fantastic.
    McKenna

    ReplyDelete