Monday, February 2, 2009

Piecing the Unit


I only marked sewing lines on the yellow pieces, which save a lot of marking. I could do this because I can sew every seam with a yellow patch on top. I follow the sewing lines on the yellow patch. As long as the two patches are aligned at the cut edge, the seam will be where it should be on the back patch.

Note: I am left handed, so all my photos are from that perspective. I sew from left to right rather than from right to left as a right-hander would.


The first seam joins the small white triangle to the yellow piece. You can hardly see it behind the yellow in this photo. I didn't have to pin this short seam.

I always sew just outside the line to compensates for the bit of fabric taken up as the patches bend at the seam line. This is most important with "beefy" fabrics such as the ones I'm using in this project.


I have finger-pressed the first white patch out of the way and placed the first of the two long white patches beneath the yellow one. The thread is not cut but continues from the previous seam. I had already taken one stitch when this photo was taken. The needle is reinserted at the same place for a backstitch. This is how I begin all my seams. Next I pinned the other end of the pair. Then I placed a couple of pins along the length.


The second long white patch is aligned...


...and pinned for sewing.

And here is the finished unit. I have finger-pressed the long seams toward the yellow patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment