Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Pressing Problems




Crispy commented on this sunflower, which was shown in my first post. She also asked how I planned to press the seam allowances on those sharp points at the tips of my current block, the compass, so that the seams went under the yellow patches, as I said I was going to (sharp gal!) Interestingly, I can illustrate this little problem with the compass by showing how I handled the same issue in the sunflower block.

The second photo above shows the back of the sunflower block. (Brown thread! I would have used white on the outer petals if I were doing it now.) Notice the tips of the petals. I have pressed the seam allowances under the petal patches. I did this so the petals would appear to stand out, especially if I planned to quilt around their edges "in the ditch". Also, the background fabric is rather thin, so the seam allowances would have shown somewhat if I had pressed any of them them toward the background instead. So in this case I elected to press the seam allowances toward the petals, even though right at the tip it gets a bit bulky. Can you see that?

I accomplished this by pressing the seam allowance under on one side of the petal, and then, when I folded the other side under, the bulk at the tip is folded back on itself. This fabric is thin, as I said, so it really isn't much of a problem. I don't plan to quilt through that bulk (I could trim it a bit at the very tip if it was going to prevent me from quilting close to the petals there), and it lies flat enough.

But what if the fabric had been bulkier? Like the fabric I used in my compass. And what if those petals were long and skinny, like the sharp points of the compass? Then I might make another decision. You can see from the next photo, of the back of my compass, that the seam allowances are quite cooperative except at the outer edge of the block. There, they stand straight up! (By the way, this block section has not been pressed with an iron yet. Only finger-pressed. I do not want to distort the fabric, and I also like to see the natural behavior of the seams. Forcing them to go in a contrary direction is a last resort.)


(Click on the photo to see it larger. Then use your browser's Back button to return to the blog.)

What are my choices here? I chose these bulky fabrics because they were the best I had on hand for this project. The background is Kona Natural (this is not like the stiff Kona solids, which I do not like to hand piece with), and it is bulky and soft, like a thick muslin. The yellow is also a "beefy" fabric. I selected these two fabrics because I liked the yellow, and the Natural was the only thing I had on hand that would work well with it. I knew the seam allowances might give me some trouble, but I had the confidence that I would be able to find a way to handle them when the time came. As I piece the block, I consider the options.

The options I can think of are: 1) Press the seam allowances away from the yellow instead; 2) Press the seam allowances all in the same direction; 3) Press the seam allowances toward the yellow, folding them as I did in the sunflower block; 4) Plan to use a batting with a bit of loft and simply let the seam allowances sink down into it, going in whichever direction they like, then use a quilting pattern that would avoid them; 5) Clip the allowances somewhere so part could go out and part in (if you follow); and 6) ???

Have I missed any options? One thing I know for sure, I will find a good way to do it. The point is, every block is different not only in its design but also in the qualities of the fabric, the quilting pattern you plan to use, the batting you plan to use, and other ways. I just want to point out that I don't have all the answers when I begin. I consider what I can, and anticipate what problems I can in order to make the whole experience pleasant, but I can't figure it all out ahead of time. However, I can apply my experience with past projects to the new block whenever I get to a point of decision. Having considered the same issues in the past helps me make the best choices for the current block.

I am sharing this with you now to help you make these decisions, too. I want to point out (though I know many of you know this well already) that it is never "one size fits all", that these picky things are worth considering, that there are a lot of considerations as well as a lot of options, and that past experience helps with decision making. I am only interested in piecing fun blocks! The piecing experience must be enjoyable. I suppose I work rather hard to make it so, but I enjoy that process, too :-)

9 comments:

  1. Well, towards the white would work or all in one direction. The folding back may not work as well since these points are so skinny and as you say, your fabric is pretty beefy. The thought of just mashing the iron down as some people have done just makes me shudder as well as not pressing at all LOL. I love to press with a dry iron as I go. I will be watching to see how you handle this issue.

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm may not know what I'm going to do about it until I've finished the compass. I am experimenting with the grain line in the white pieces, though. It's interesting the difference that makes. If I do end up pressing the seam allowances to one side, I will press them counter-clockwise (viewed from the back of the block) because I plan to inset the compass into its 30 inch background square by machine, the background with its clipped curve on top, and the allowances will thereby be in the right orientation for very easy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I would never have thought of pressing in a particular direction for easy inset, you simply amaze me my friend.

    Re: the grain line, I usually put the straight of grain along the long side of a spike type piece (unless I want the pattern of the fabric to go a certain way). I figure that way I don't have two bias edges to worry about. What have you discovered in your experiments?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, that is a challenge. It reminds me of my little block I made with all the bulk of the seams, but I can't remember the name. I do still owe you a picture of the back, lol. Its looking great and you have the patience of a saint to deal with that many seams.
    Cheers, Ellena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Becky, I was delighted to find your blog. I thought no one was hand piecing any more, AND you use EQ. I've only got EQ4 but I've been printing out some templates from BlockBase via EQ for hand piecing.

    I do lots of machine piecing and rotary cutting but there are a few blocks I'd like to make by hand (Hands All Around is a favourite of mine) and EQ is so much easier than hand drafting.

    I use marks along the templates and seams to line things up rather than punching holes--interesting to see how you do that--so neat. Love your work.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Judith. Nice to see a new face here. Most of those who have made comments are friends I met on the About.com quilters forum. We have been hand piecing together there for a few years and have posted instructions for MANY blocks and sewn them together. I am doing the blog thing now because it keeps my work more under my own control. However, go check out the hand piecing folder in the quilting forum at About.com if you want to find A LOT of blocks that are great for hand piecing and also a lot of good company.

    So, you use marks on your templates. Are they cut through so you can mark through to the fabric? Or are you using templates without seam allowances? Can you clarify?

    The hole punch I use is a 1/16", purchased in the scrapbooking section at Joann's or Michael's stores. I tear off the punch-catcher part and use it upside down, so I can see the dot I want to punch out through the little hole before I punch it. Very accurate, and it works very well on template plastic.

    If I'm only making one of a block, I just print templates from EQ onto heavy paper -- the weight of index cards. Just cut them out and punch on the dots. I may cut sets with and without seam allowances and use them both. For some blocks I may use one or the other. For years and years I used templates without seam allowances and estimated the allowance when I cut them out.

    You can also see many of my blocks here: http://community.webshots.com/user/rabidquilter and here: http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Rabidquilter/

    Thanks again for reading here and posting your comment.

    I haven't been able to work on my block much in the last few weeks, but I hope to get back to it soon, and then I'll post some more here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Becky,
    I have been following the hand piecers at About.com for a long, long time. I remember when you started out hand piecing a trip around the world quilt and soon after it was a dahlia block. I'm so glad you have started a blog, and will come visit again.
    -Auntie Em
    www.myquiltblog.com/quiltcrossover

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Auntie Em. Wow, that was a L O N G time ago! I'm very glad you are here. I have not posted much lately because I have not had time to work on my hand piecing much. I hope to get back to it by the summer. Thanks very much for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So miss hearing from you. You are such an inspiration and motivator. Hope all is well.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete