Monday, February 2, 2009

The Piecing Order

Click on the illustration to enlarge it. Save it, if you like. Click your browser's Back button to return to this blog. (Note: Some lines appear to be curved. This is only a result of my inexperience with file conversion. All the lines are straight.)



This block is surprisingly simple and kind of fun. You make a little unit, then another, then you get to join these together with two single patches to make a larger unit. You make two of those, then you get to join them together into a bigger unit. You make two of those... and before you know it, you have a quarter of the compass done. I finished my first quarter today, and also the central star. It has taken the spare moments of the past three days to get that much done, and I enjoyed it all. Not bad! Tomorrow I'll post some photos of the sewing in progress.

4 comments:

  1. Becky..As a true newbie to hand piecing, I am totally impressed with this block! I'd never even THINK about trying it...Not yet, anyway.

    The yellow is lovely..

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG again....this after seeing your previous posts. They look wonderful and you make them seem so simple...I just can't wrap my brain around trying one.

    Love the blog. I'll be back.
    Sadia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandle and Sadia, thanks very much for your comments. I’m really glad you are enjoying my posts. This block probably isn’t for beginners, but a really determined beginner could make it. You just have to make sure your pieces are cut accurately, know where the seams must begin and end (I mark dots and lines to sew on), sew accurately from dot to dot, and secure the thread at the beginning and end of each seam. The only real rule in hand piecing is not to sew into the seam allowances. I hope you will continue to read along and that what I talk about will interest and be of value to you. Do post comments when they occur to you. I love knowing who has been here and what they thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops -- I meant to spell that "Sandy"!

    ReplyDelete